Formshifting is the ability to take on any other form, whether another appearance, an animal or plant, or even an object.
- Lee Athens possesses this ability naturally.
- Elodie Gray, a clone of Braedon Gray, also had this ability naturally.
- Loretta Sanchez-Hawkins will have this ability naturally.
- Noah Gray has mimicked the ability from Elodie.
- Abbie Gray has mimicked the ability from Elodie.
- Peter Petrelli has absorbed the ability in World 2.
This ability can be used to turn into any form one can think of, and to return to the original form. It can be used to change one's appearance, to mimic another person, another gender or another age. It can also be used to become an animal, plant or object. However, the level of thought and consciousness is limited to the natural levels of that form - i.e. less for a child or infant, very limited for an animal, none at all for an object. The only exception in this is keeping the capacity to alter form again, and realising when would be a good time to do this.
- Shapeshifting is the ability to alter one's appearance at will
- Metamorphing, body manipulation, contortion, DNA mimicry and DNA manipulation can also be used to alter appearance
- Trace shifting can change small, identifiable aspects of appearance
- Animal mimicry is the ability to take on the form of an animal
- Half-animal mimicry can take on half of an animal form
- Lycanthropy is the ability to turn into a wolf-like human form
- Florakinesis can be used to mimic plants
- Mythological mimicry is the ability to mimic different mythical beings
- Technoforming is the ability to transform into different technologies
- Transmogrification is the ability to transform into inanimate objects
- Plant mimicry is the ability to turn oneself into plants
- Mimicry can also be used to mimic the form of any person, animal, plant or substance
- Transmutation is the ability to turn one object into another