Phobic vampirism is the ability to gain physical strength from the fear of others.
- Benjamin "Knox" Washington had this ability naturally.
- Peter Petrelli had mimicked the ability in World 8 and World 11.
- Robert Max has also absorbed the ability.
- Darla Petrelli will have this ability naturally.
Benjamin "Knox" Washington
Knox could gain strength up to the level of enhanced strength if others nearby were frightened enough. There was often a positive feedback with this ability, since the actions it made possible would encourage fear which would then strengthen him further. It may have been based on sensing fear pheromones, since he would often be seen inhaling deeply when using the ability and claimed that he could smell a person's fear, thus being able to accurately predict if a person was afraid.
This ability strengthens Peter too in situations where people around him are frightened. In World 8, he could potentially gain up to four times the strength Knox could, since he has also mimicked enhanced strength, peak physical properties and empathic vampirism. In World 11, he can also gain strength from enhanced strength, adrenal vampirism and sonic vampirism. He has been able to sense whether or not a person is frightened using this ability, but doesn't inhale deeply to do so as Knox does.
Robert has similar limits to Peter in World 8. He too has other abilities which grant him strength, and can detect fear but doesn't inhale to do so.
Darla will gain strength from the fear of others, the level of her strength increasing with both the intensity of fear and the amount of frightened people. However, she will not be able to strengthen herself using her own fear. The strength will enable her to win fights, tear objects apart and even punch through metal or stone. She will be able to sense fear as she will feel her own strength improving because of it.
- Neuronal vampirism can be used to gain strength from the nerve impulses of others
- Empathic vampirism gains strength from the emotions of others
- Enhanced strength increases a character's strength in all circumstances
- Peak physical properties improves physical strength
- Adrenal vampirism gains strength from adrenaline
- Fear manipulation is the ability to manipulate the fears of others
- Crumpling is the ability to crumple objects