Precognitive dreaming, also called oneiromancy, is the ability to experience precognitions as dreams during natural sleep.
- Angela Petrelli has this ability naturally.
- Theodore 'The Vicar' Rose also had this ability naturally.
- Andrew Pendergast also has this ability naturally.
- Josh Deveaux also possesses this ability naturally.
- Peter Petrelli has mimicked this ability from his mother, in World 2, World 3, World 5, World 8 and World 11.
- Noah Gray has mimicked this ability from his grandmother.
- Abbie Gray has also absorbed the ability from her grandmother.
- Danny Maxxted has this ability naturally.
- Daniel Vaughan-Reist-Greene has absorbed this ability from Danny.
- Christopher Reist possessed this ability before he lost it.
- Katie Greene will gain this ability empathically from Danny.
- Maria Rodriguez also has this ability naturally.
- Jessica Sky Petrelli has also mimicked this ability.
- Robert Max has also absorbed the ability.
- Jennifer Petrelli will have this ability naturally.
- Lewis Black has replicated this ability from Jayne Black.
- Jayne Black mimicked this ability from an unknown source.
- Joshua Evans has gained the ability from Angela in World 8.
These precognitions can only be experienced when asleep and dreaming. The sleep must also be natural and not drug-induced - as Angela phrased it, they must be "earned". Most of individuals must therefore be at least slightly relaxed, and thus able to sleep well, in order to access the ability. Angela has previously described the dreams as vague and open to interpretation, although other examples of hers have also been vivid and accurate, down to the most minute details. Several of Peter's dreams have shown aspects of multiple possible futures. The time range of the precognitions can vary from moments before the event, to years or even decades before. Occasionally a dream can show an event occuring elsewhere in the present, instead of a future event. The ability has also been used to communicate with others in their sleep or while unconscious, and also to relive past experiences and to project a part of one's consciousness to other times, though the exact mechanism of these aspects is unknown.
- All precognitive abilities - such as precognition, precognitive instincts, precognitive painting, precognitive speech, premonition touch, precognitive visions and precognitive writing - can be used to predict the future
- Precognitive immunity is the ability to be immune to precognitive abilities
- Precognition manipulation is the ability to interfere with precognitive abilities